How to add subtle colours to your home

Image Source: @thelifecreativeblog

Adding colour to your home can be a daunting task, so we’re going to share some basic tips so you don’t go over the top, but do have complementing colours in your home.

The 80/20 Rule

When decorating your bedroom it comes down to wall colour, and personal taste. Using the 80/20 rule helps if you prefer neutral tones and if you have a white or grey wall. By applying this rule, you simply decorate 80% of a room in neutral colours, and can get colourful with the other 20%.

Use the colour through your lamps, blankets, or furniture against a neutral coloured wall like the below.

Image Source: Adairs

A Touch of Colour

The more furniture you have the harder in can be to style with colour – so try adding colour to your shelves – an interesting way to incorporate pastels, without being too overpowering. The shelving below really makes an impact in this neutral coloured living space.

Image Source:

Feature Furniture

Add subtle hints of colour effectively through your furniture; think of your study space or kitchen, where you can use the colour in the chairs. This is an easy solution as if you change your mind later on, or feel like changing the colour scheme of your room, you can do so by just swapping in new chairs.

Image Source: Husligheter

Pop of Colour

If you prefer to keep a neutral space, add colour subtly and sparingly. When considering a colour scheme, keep in mind the purpose of the room; warmer colours create higher energy so are great for kitchens while cooler colours, like in the room below, generally turn the energy down and make it a place to relax and unwind, perfect for a nook or lounge room.

Image Source: @thatnordicfeeling

Share your favourite colour styling with us on Instagram @British Paints, using #BritishPaints